Thursday, May 7, 2009

My Professional Profile

Mission Statement
As a woman, a communicator, a student, a sister, and a friend, I am committed to doing my part to make the world better for myself and others. I value honesty, commitment, hard work, thoughtfulness, and concern for those around me. I will demonstrate these values in my personal and professional life by:
· Taking into consideration the best interest of everyone, not just of myself.
· Dedicating myself fully to what I do, whether it be a project from work or putting something together for my loved ones.
· Spending ample time to plan or research before making a decision.
· Creating work that I can be proud of not only because it is truthful, but because it “the best I can do.”
By keeping in mind these guidelines, I am confident that I will excel at future professional endeavors and will find happiness in life and in those around me.


In my time at Alverno, I have grown as a communicator by improving skills I already knew I had and by discovering those I had yet to uncover. I take pride in being able to comfortably address an audience. I am able to convey my confidence and knowledge of the topic matter to the audience, and I can create effective, eye catching visual aids that support my presentation. I’m a strong writer, but my writing is versatile as well. I can create a serious, factual piece, but I can also use words and tone to evoke emotion and connection between the reader and my subject. Communicating on an interpersonal level is important to me as well. I listen to what the other person has to say, and I respond after making sure I am clear on the message they are trying to send me. I make eye contact, I speak clearly, and I use body language, facial expression, and tone of voice to connect with the person and make sure they understand my point. Clarity and understanding are the most important aspects of communicating a message, no matter what medium is used, and I feel that I display them and use them to my best advantage.


As a student, Alverno is my greatest support in my professional development. This summer I will be working with the staff at Voces de la Frontera, a bilingual newspaper located on Milwaukee’s south side. I look forward to the experience I will gain through working with professionals at a well known publication. I hope that I will get the opportunity to write for the newspaper; based on the feedback I received from the Assistant Director on my writing samples, I think this will be a possibility. I have also been recruited by Alverno staff to work with college level students in the Alverno Writing Center. I anticipate many opportunities in the near future to utilize my skills in writing and in other forms of communication.

No comments:

Post a Comment